Ashlyn Knox isn't like most college students these days. Instead of working a minimum wage job for just enough to buy some alcohol for the parties, she'd actually rather wake up at 5 AM and go to her “unpaid” job.
Because she took the time to question what she ENJOYS, puts her HEALTH first, and has seen first hand the IMPACT she's made on the lives of the people she works with. Ashlyn is a full-time McCombs School of Business student at UT AND she's on the road to becoming the next household name in #atxfitness as a personal trainer!
And it is her humble “always learning” attitude, her willingness to put in the work when no one’s looking and continuing to surround herself with the right people that have kept her on the fast track to greatness. This episode is perfect for you if you are a college student wondering how you can make the most out of your time in school and live your life with PURPOSE and THRIVE.
But how did she get to this point? Ashlyn has had a few major realizations throughout her college career that we get into in this episode. One was her study abroad trip to Spain, where she got to see a different way that people lived. She recognized that people in Spain were more relaxed and generally happier than Americans. They were doing the kind of work they wanted to do and there wasn't as much stress about good grades. That's when she became obsessed with the mission to find what brings her that kind of joy, and she sure found it!
And it is her humble “always learning” attitude, her willingness to put in the work when no ones looking, and continuing to surround herself with the right people that has kept her on the fast track to greatness. This episode is perfect for you if you are a college student wondering how you can make the most out of your time in school and live your life with PURPOSE and THRIVE.
KEY THEMES IN THIS EPISODE
- Why Ashlyn sometimes feels like an outsider in college but doesn't care
- How studying abroad in Spain gave her the final push to give her dream an honest try
- What she looked for in a mentor in order to get her to the next level, her exact research process for finding the internship opportunity
- Is it innate or teachable to be a go-getter and understand that you need to put yourself out there?
- What she learned growing up in her hometown of McKinney Texas
- What inspired her to get her business degree
- What she loves about her job and why she's passionate about health and wellness
- The key things you should be doing as a college student right now to prepare you for success
KEY LESSONS IN THIS EPISODE
- Until you give something a solid amount of effort you can't really know if you'll enjoy it
- A lot of people don't give it effort because there's no ego boost right away (money, praise, etc.)
- What moves the needle forward are little things that don't have things attached to it- no money attached to it, no one cheering you on
- Surround yourself with the right people, learning things to learn things not just to get a good grade, and invest money rather than spending it on immediate satisfaction
- Put yourself in front of people you want to see you
- At job fairs, look for the recruiters who actually seem passionate about their jobs
- The same people passing judgement on people deciding to be PTs and coaches, are the ones paying PTs and coaches behind closed doors to get their lives back
- Our perceptions can be false: she thought everyone else around her was excelling and having fun and loving it but actually they were all failing and hating it too
- Learning and then teaching others what you learned is what gets you far in life
- Trying to plan everything and do things just to check boxes depletes joy
- As long as you work hard, enjoy what you're doing, and are kind, you'll be fine
“It wasn't until I gave it another try, like a solid chance, like put time and effort towards it, actually going and training people, putting myself out there, getting an internship opportunity, seeking out mentorship…that's when I was able to realize like, okay. This is what I like to do. But until you give something, not necessarily the chance, but the solid amount of effort, I feel like you can't really know. So you have to go do it.” -Ashlyn Knox
If you’re a female college student in Austin, Texas motivated to better yourself and improve your health but you’re feeling kinda scared to go to the gym by yourself..Ashlyn would love to work with you! Hit her up on Instagram @train_with_ash.
If you have a new idea, project or business that you're working on and you're feeling a little bit stuck, I'd love to help you or connect you with somebody that can. Hit me up at [email protected] or on Instagram @thriveonlife or @cj.finley.